Noctua is a company specialized in designing and producing of high end coolers and fans for PC type systems. The company was founded in 2005 by Rascom Computerdistribution and Taiwanese company Kolink International. Today Noctua is present in more than 30 countries, being one of the most known manufacturers of cooling solutions.
Official product link:
Packaging and accessories
The packaging is characteristic of the Noctua products, it uses a white-beige color scheme.
The front side presents the cooler with an abstract image on the background, in addition on the left side a few of the product’s features are presented alongside the name of the manufacturer.
The side of the packaging presents the features and specifications of the cooler in 9 different languages, while on the right the name and a small diagram are printed.
The backside of the packaging presents the features of the product in 8 different languages while on the left the name of the cooler is printed.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Manual
– 2x Intel mounting arms
– 2x AMD mounting arms
– 4x Thumb screws
– 2x Fan clips
– 1x Phillips screwdriver
– 1x Metal Noctua badge
– 1x Low noise adapter
– 1x Intel backplate
– 1x Tube of NT-H1 thermal paste
– 4x AMD mounting screws
– 4x AMD spacers (white)
– 4x Intel spacers (black)
– 8x Anti-vibration pads
– 4x LGA2011 mounting screws
Intel: LGA2066, LGA2011-0 & LGA2011-3 (Square ILM), LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1151, LGA1150
AMD: AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+ (backplate required), AM4 with NM-AM4-UxS
TDP: 165 W
Materials: Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating
Dimensions: 165mm x 150mm x 52mm
Heatpipes: 5x – Ø6 mm
Weight: 770g (without fan) or 935g (with Fan installed)
Model: NF-A15 PWM
Dimensions: 140 mm x 150 mm x 25 mm
Bearing type: SSO2
Max. Rotational Speed (+/- 10%): 1500 RPM
Max. Rotational Speed with L.N.A. (+/- 10%): 1200 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%): 300 RPM
Max. Acoustical Noise: 24,6 dB(A)
Max. Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.: 19,2 dB(A)
Connector: 4-Pin PWM
MTBF: > 150.000 h
Warranty: 6 Years
– Full RAM compatibility on LGA2011: With its 52mm slim design tailor-made for LGA2011, the NH-U14S will not overhang the RAM slots on this platform, thus guaranteeing full compatibility with tall memory modules. On some LGA115x and AMD motherboards, the front fan may overhang the first RAM slot, so standard height RAM (up to 32mm) should be chosen when using the first slot.*
– NF-A15 140mm PWM Fan: The NF-A15 is a premium quality quiet 140mm fan with a round frame that complies with Noctua’s AAO standard. Featuring sophisticated aerodynamic design measures such as Flow Acceleration Channels, the NF-A15 further improves the renowned quiet cooling performance of the award-winning NF-P14.
– SecuFirm2™ mounting system: Noctua’s SecuFirm2™ mounting systems have become synonymous with quality, safety and ease of use. Supporting Intel LGA115x (LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156), LGA2011, LGA2066 and AMD (AM3+, AM2+, FM1, FM2, FM2+), the SecuFirm2™ mounting included with the NH-U14S guarantees perfect contact pressure and maximum convenience on all current sockets.
– NT-H1 thermal compound: Having received more than 100 awards and recommendations from hardware journalists around the world, Noctua’s NT-H1 is a proven professional grade TIM solution that provides minimum thermal resistance, excellent ease of use and outstanding reliability.
– 6-year manufacturer’s warranty: Noctua products are renowned for their impeccable quality and outstanding longevity. Like all Noctua fans, the supplied NF-A15 features an MTTF rating of more than 150.000 hours and the entire NH-U14S package comes with a full 6-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The Noctua NH-U14S has a single tower design, in addition, just like most coolers from Noctua, the materials used in its construction are aluminum for the fins and copper for the base of the cooler and the six heatpipes. The cooler has a cooling capacity of 165W and uses a 140mm fan, model NF-A15 PWM, it has a speed of maximum 1500 RPM.
The fins on the lower side of the cooler are shaped to improve RAM compatibility and clear the motherboard heatsinks.
The NH-U14S model uses 5 heatpipes each with a diameter of 6mm; these are arranged in a U shape to facilitate heat transfer and dissipation. At the base, a nickel plated-copper plate covers them.
The base of the cooler is made out of nickel plated copper, it is brushed to an almost mirror like reflective texture.
The cooler uses a single 140mm fan that is part of the NF line, model: NF-A15 PWM with the dimensions 140x150x25 mm. The bearing used is the Noctua SSO-Bearing mechanism and features a speed between 300 RPM and 1500 RPM. The fan has rubberized corners to dampen vibrations when in use.
The following system was used to test the cooler:
– Processor: Intel i5 4690K @ 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.5 GHz
– Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 9 ACK
– RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz
– GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: WD 1 TB Blue
– PSU: Antec Edge 550W Gold
– Display: AOC i2769VM
– Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
– Thermal compound: Arctic Cooling MX-4
Software used for testing the cooler:
– AIDA64 Extreme Version: 5.92.4300 (06/19/2017)
– Intel Burn Test v2.54
– Prime95 29.1
The cooler was tested with the CPU at the default turbo frequency of 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.5 GHz with a core voltage of 1.187 V.
Also, the included fans have been used at their maximum speed.
The room temperature was approximately 26°C (78°F), with 2°C margin of error.
The idle test consists of the CPU sitting idle at the desktop for 30 minutes, the temperature was measured at the end of the test.
The settings of the software used are the following:
Intel Burn Test v2.54 – Stress level: Maximum
Prime95 29.1- small FFT
AIDA64 Extreme Version – Temperature monitoring.
Each test was conducted for 40 minutes.
The test results are as follows:
The noise level was measured at three different distances from the fans (10cm, 20cm, 30cm.) the noise was measured with a margin of error of ± 5 db.
The cooler offers a good RAM compatibility, the fan does not cover the DIMM slots of the motherboard and thus, memory with tall heatsinks can be used.
The NH-U14S model is a good cooler due to its silence during usage, the 140mm fan included in the bundle is part of the NF series of fans, and uses the Noctua proprietary mechanism, SSO-Bearing. It has rotational speed starting from 300 RPM to 1500RPM. Although it uses a single tower type design, the performance of the cooler is good, being equal to some dual tower models or even AIO coolers. An inconvenient of the NH-U14S is the overhang of the cooler over the first expansion slot of the motherboard, this is a case by case scenario based on the motherboard used. The SecuFirm 2 mounting system is efficient, the cooler is easy to install and the average time needed for installing a cooler using this mounting system is approximately 5 minutes. The accessory package includes all the necessary components for installing and using the cooler, each component is individually packaged and labeled while the AMD and Intel parts are separated in different boxes. In addition, with the cooler, Noctua includes a tube of Noctua NT-H1thermal compound.
In conclusion, the Noctua NH-U14S cooler is a good choice for systems that use a CPU with a TDP that is 160W or over, the cooler itself is silent during operation due to the NF 140mm fan included while the mounting system eases the installing process.