Transcend Information. Inc. was founded in 1988 by Mr. Chung-Won Shu, Peter, with its headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan. Today, Transcend has become a leading global brand of digital storage, multimedia and industrial products with 14 offices worldwide. Not only do we design, develop, and manufacture all of our own products, but we also market and sell them.
Official product link:
2. Packaging and accessories
The 370 Premium model comes packaged in a box with a white background and red & silver accents.
The front side of the packaging presents the product using a general image, on the top side we find printed both the name & logo of the manufacturer and a few features of the product. On the lower side we have the name of the model, the format and capacity of the SSD.
On the sides of the box we have the features of the product and a brief description of the “System Clone” function of the Transcend SSD Scope software.
The back side of the packaging lists the specifications of the product and presents its features in 20 different languages. On the lower side we find printed the full model name.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Quick Installation Guide
– 1x 3.5″ Bracket
– 8x Metal screws
– 1x Warranty Card
– 3x Transcend brochures
Name: Transcend 370 Premium Series 256GB
Form Factor: 2.5″ SATA
Seq. Read: 560MB/s
Seq. Write: 460MB/s
Max. 4k random file read: 75,000 IOPS
Max. 4k random file write: 75,000 IOPS
Operating Voltage: DC 5V
Dimensions: 100mm x 69.85mm x 6.8mm
Storage Media: Synchronous MLC NAND Flash memory
Operating Temperature: 0°C (32°F) to 70°C (158°F)
Certificates: CE, FCC, BSMI
Supports TRIM, NCQ and S.M.A.R.T. functions
Warranty: 3 years
– More space. More to store; Besides the blazing transfer speeds, the SSD370 ranges from 32GB to 1TB capacities that helps you save time to drag and delete files and process large multimedia files within seconds.
– Save power. Fast response: The SSD370 maximizes notebook battery life when not in use thanks to the full support of SATA Device Sleep Mode (DevSleep).
– Ultra-slim. Ultra-portable: The SSD370 features the industry-standard 2.5″ form factor. Yet, it measures just 6.8mm in height and only weighs a mere 58g, which is best suited with thin-and-light notebooks, mainstream PCs, and today’s advanced Ultrabooks.
– A new level of reliability: The SSD370 offers an aggressive garbage collection and recycling system. To further increase the lifespan of the SSD370, built-in wear-leveling and Error Correction Code (ECC) ensure continued reliable data transfer. SSD Scope also includes a convenient System Clone utility to help make upgrading your existing computer to the performance boost of an SSD370 quick and easy.
– Take control with SSD Scope: To keep your Transcend SSD running fast, clean, and error-free, the advanced SSD Scope software application is available to download and work with the SSD370. SSD Scope allows you to monitor SSD370 health status with S.M.A.R.T. technology, enable the TRIM command in the operating system to help maintain optimum write speeds, and conveniently update SSD firmware, all from a single user-friendly tool.
– A 3.5″ bracket included for PC upgrade: To provide the ultimate choice of PC upgrade, each SSD370 also includes a 3.5-inch bracket.
4. Visual inspection
The 370 Premium model is fabricated out of aluminum. The SSD has a Slim form factor, measuring 6.8mm in height.
On the front side of the SSD we find placed the name and logo of the manufacturer.
On the back of the SSD we find additional information.
On the side we find both the power and data connectors.
The 370 Premium model is accompanied by a Transcend proprietary software – SSDScope which offers numerous functions such as: Performance benchmark, safe erase, firmware update, wear out status and OS migration on the SSD.
The following system was used to test the SSD:
– Processor: Intel i5 4690K @ 3.9 GHz
– Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 9 ACK
– RAM: 8GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
– PSU: Antec Edge 550W Gold
– Display: AOC i2769VM
– Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
– OS: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1
To test the SSD the following software was used: ATTO Disk Benchmark, HD Tune Pro, Crystal DiskMark 5.0.2, AS SSD Benchmark. In order to obtain a precise result each test was performed three times.
AS SSD Benchmark (write)
ATTO Disk Benchmark (read)
ATTO Disk Benchmark (write)
Crystal DiskMark 5.0.2 (read)
Crystal DiskMark 5.0.2 (write)
HD Tune Pro (read)
6. Final thoughts
The 370 Premium Series 256GB model is distinguished by its solid build and Slim format ideal for a Notebook. The price-performance ratio is very good: the speed of this SSD being constant. Also the SSD Scope software eases the setup process of the SSD, offering numerous features.
The accessory bundle is rich offering a 3.5” metal adapter and all the mounting screws required to install the SSD with or withouth the 3.5” bracket.
In conclusion, the Transcend 370 Premium Series 256GB SSD is a good choice due to its performance and more than acceptable price being among the cheapest SSD of this capacity, on the market at the moment.