Founded in 2002, Optoma is a multinational company which produces audio and video systems, being specialized in projectors, professional audio-video solutions, laser projectors, both LED and DLP.
Optoma has headquarters in Europe, North America, Asia-Pacific and China, also Optoma is part of the Coretronic group.
Official product link:
Packaging and accessories
The projector is packaged in a white cardboard box with red and black accents.
On the front side of the box there is a frontal image of the projector, the manufacturer’s logo is placed on the upper right corner. On the lower side, a few features of the projector are presented.
On the sides the optional accessories are presented alongside the back ports of the projector.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Manual
– 1x AC power cord
– 1x Remote control
– 2x AA batteries
– 1x quick start card
– 1x CD user manual
Display Technology: Single 0.65” 1080p DC3 DMD chip DLP® Technology by Texas Instruments
Native Resolution: 1080p 1920 x 1080
Brightness (Bright Mode): 3000 ANSI Lumens
Lamp Life Dynamic/Eco/Bright: 8000/6000/5000 (hrs)
Throw Ratio: 1.48 – 1.62:1
Zoom Type: 1.1x Manual
I/O Connectors: 2x HDMI (1.4a 3D support) + MHL v2.1, Audio Out 3.5mm, 12V trigger, 3D-Sync, USB-A Power (1A)
Keystone Correction: ± 40° Vertical
Weight (kg): 2.38
Dimensions (W x D x H) (mm): 298 x 230 x 96.5
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Native, 4:3 Compatible
Projection Screen Size: 0.71 – 7.75m (27.88″ – 305.3″) Diagonal 16:9
Projection Distance: 1 – 10m
Projection Lens: F/2.5~2.67; f=21.86~24mm
Maximum Resolution: Full HD 1920 x 1080
Computer Compatibility: FHD, HD, WXGA, UXGA, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA, Mac
Video Compatibility: PAL (B, D, G, H, I, M, N, 576i/p), NTSC (M, 4.43/3.58 MHz, 480i/p), SECAM (B, D, G, K, K1, L) HD (1080i, 720p)
3D Support: Full 3D – The 3D features of Optoma projectors can only be used with compatible 3D content. Typical applications include use with 3D educational or 3D design and modelling systems. 3D TV broadcast systems, (SKY in the UK), Blu-ray 3D™ and 3D games from the Sony® PS3 or Microsoft® Xbox 360 are now supported as part of the HDMI v1.4a specification.
Side-by-Side: 1080i50 / 60, 720p50 / 60
Frame-pack: 1080p24, 720p50 / 60
Over-Under: 1080p24, 720p50 / 60
Input Lag (ms): 33
Horizontal Scan Rate: 15 – 91kHz
Vertical Scan Rate: 25 – 85Hz (120Hz for 3D)
Displayable Colours: 1073.4 Million
Noise Level (Eco mode): 26dB
Power Supply: 100-240V, 50-60Hz
Power Consumption: 230W Bright mode / 192W Eco mode (< 0.5W Standby)
Lamp Type: 195W
Operating Conditions: 5°C – 40°C, Max. Humidity 85%, Max. Altitude 3000m
Security: Security bar, Kensington lock, password protection
On Screen Display: 26 Languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian/Danish, Polish, Russian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Czech, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Turkish, Farsi, Vietnamese, Romanian, Indonesian.
Standard Accessories: AC power cord, remote control, 2x AA batteries, quick start card, CD user manual
Optional Accessories: 3D glasses, wireless, ceiling mount
Optional Wireless: Yes
– Full HD 1080p: 1080p resolution gives you sharp and detailed images from HD content without downscaling or compression; perfect for watching movies, viewing photos and documents.
– Full 3D: Optoma projectors can display true 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray players, 3D broadcasting and the latest generation games consoles. Support for 144Hz rapid refresh rate provides ultra-smooth flicker free images.
– MHL: Turn your projector into a smart display by connecting your smartphone or tablet with a single cable using MHL, enabling you to view presentations and documents, stream videos and share photos on the big screen.
– Smart projector: Turn your projector into a smart display by connecting the HDCast Pro (sold separately) or Apple TV™ to stream videos, music and share photos on the big screen using your smartphone or tablet.
– Integrated speaker: Complete your home entertainment experience with the convenience of a powerful built-in speaker. Built-in speakers provide exceptional sound quality and are easy to set up without the need for costly external speakers.
– Dynamic black technology: Dynamic black gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the lamp output, based on the brightness information of each frame; to create a stunning high contrast ratio. Bright scenes appear crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks and exceptional light and shade detail.
– Amazing Colour: Give powerful presentations and educational lessons with stunning colours. Optoma projectors provide you with reliable colour performance suitable for any content and environment. From accurate sRGB colours for true life like images to vibrant punchy presentations. We have a display mode to specific meet your needs.
The projector has a reduced footprint when compared with other Home Cinema type models, it has a weight of only 2.38 kg and the dimensions: 298(W) x 230(D) x 96.5(H)mm.
The top surface of the projector is glossy black, the rest of the panels are coated in a matte finish.
The HD142X model uses a lens with an aperture starting from F/2.5 up to F/2.67.
On the back side the in-out ports of the projector are mounted, the HD142X model offers: two HDMI ports, the right one is MHL compatible, one USB port, next to it there is a RF 3D compatible port and two more ports to the right, one audio out port and one 12V power port.
On the lower part there is the power slot and on its right, there is a slot for a Kensington lock.
On the top panel the physical commands of the projector are placed above three LED indicators are installed while on the right corner there is a white Optoma logo.
On the front side there are the Zoom and Focus dials. The zoom is changed by moving the slider found on the top panel while the focus is done by rotating the ring mounted on the projector’s lens.
The height adjustment of the projector is done with the rising of the front stands. These stands are raised by rotating them and they will rise the projector with 4.5 cm.
The menu of the projector features an intuitive interface, it is also available in 26 different languages. It covers all the functions of the projector starting from the contrast up to the 3D and color configuration.
The Optoma HD142X is capable of a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 and a luminosity of 3000 ANSI Lumens, this feature is highlighted by the quality of the rendered image. Also the projector uses a 10W integrated speaker, the audio playback is good however in the case of a higher volume the clarity suffers.
Below there are a few example of the projector’s performance in comparison with the rendered images. (Left-Projector / Right-Actual Photo).
The fan that ensures the cooling for the internal components makes itself noticed when the projector is being used at its max capacity for long periods of time, it reaches at approximately 41 db.
The remote control included with the projector offers easy access to the main features of the projector, it is also illuminated with blue LEDs.
The HD142X model offers a good quality-price ratio due to the 1920 x 1080, 3D capability and options and the low 33ms latency which makes this projector a good choice for both movies and gaming.
The image quality is very good, offering vivid colors, minimal distortion and a good contrast.
The projector uses approximately 227W of power in normal usage conditions and approximately 186W in Eco mode.
In conclusion, Optoma offers an easy to use projector, ideal for both gaming and Home Cinema, also the projector offers numerous options for 2D and 3D image configuration. The connectivity of the projector is good offering both HDMI and HDMI compatible MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link).
The user experience can be improved through the change of the height adjustment system of the projector, the three frontal stands change their height by rotating them, in the future a faster mechanism can be used for their adjustment.