Noctua is a company specialized in designing and producing of high end coolers and fans for PC type systems. The company was founded in 2005 by Rascom Computerdistribution and Taiwanese company Kolink International. Today Noctua is present in more than 30 countries, being one of the most known manufacturers of cooling solutions.
Official product link:
Packaging and accessories
The cooler is packaged in a multicolored cardboard box, it has the following dimensions: 23.5(L) – 19(W) – 27(H)cm. The front side of the packaging has a two-tone abstract design, in the middle a couple of the cooler’s features are listed while the name of it is printed on the left side.
The side of the packaging presents the features and specifications of the cooler in 9 different languages, while on the right the name and a small diagram are printed.
The backside of the packaging presents the features of the product while on the right a QR code and the name of the cooler are printed, on the lower part, the logo and logo of the website are placed.
The main components of the cooler are individually packaged, including the mounting system, accessories and the additional fan.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Manual
– 2x NF-A15 PWM premium fan
– 2x Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.)
– 1x Y-cable
– 1x NT-H1 high-grade thermal compound
– 1x SecuFirm2™ Mounting Kit
– 1x Noctua Metal Case-Badge
Intel: LGA2066, LGA2011-0 & LGA2011-3 (Square ILM), LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1151, LGA1150
AMD: AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+ (backplate required), AM4 with NM-AM4
TDP: 220 W
Materials: Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating
Dimensions: 165 x 150 x 161 mm
Heatpipes: 6x – Ø6 mm
Weight: 1320 g
Model: NF-A15 PWM
Dimensions: 140 mm x 150 mm x 25 mm
Bearing type: SSO2
Max. Rotational Speed (+/- 10%): 1500 RPM
Max. Rotational Speed with L.N.A. (+/- 10%): 1200 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%): 300 RPM
Max. Acoustical Noise: 24,6 dB(A)
Max. Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.: 19,2 dB(A)
Connector: 4-Pin PWM
MTBF: > 150.000 h
Warranty: 6 Years
– 6 heatpipe dual tower design: As compared to conventional single tower heatinks, the NH-D15’s fine-tuned six heatpipe dual tower design provides more surface area, better heat-distribution and superior airflow efficiency in dual fan mode.
– High RAM compatibility in single fan mode: Thanks to its recessed lower fins, the NH-D15 provides 64mm clearance for tall memory heatsinks in single fan mode, making it compatible with most high-end RAM modules on the market. In dual fan mode, the NH-D15 should be used with standard height RAM (up to 32mm).
– Dual NF-A15 140mm fans: The NH-D15 features two of Noctua’s premium class NF-A15 140mm fans. Complying with Noctua’s AAO standard and featuring sophisticated aerodynamic design measures such as Flow Acceleration Channels, the NF-A15 has quickly built up a reputation as one of the best 140mm fans on the market.
– Excellent component cooling: Extending below the fin-stacks, the large NF-A15 fans not only contribute to the NH-D15’s superb CPU cooling capabilities but also provide massive airflow over surrounding motherboard components and heatsinks, thus ensuring excellent component cooling performance.
– SecuFirm2™ mounting system: Noctua’s SecuFirm2™ mounting systems have become synonymous with quality, safety and ease of use. Supporting Intel LGA115x (LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156), LGA2011, LGA2066 and AMD (AM3(+), AM2(+), FM1, FM2(+)), the SecuFirm2™ mounting included with the NH-D15 guarantees perfect contact pressure and maximum convenience on all current sockets.
– Compatibility with past and future sockets: Complying with the open SecuFirm™ standard, the NH-D15 can be made compatible with the older LGA1366 and LGA775 sockets using the optional NM-I3 mounting kit, which is provided by Noctua free of charge. If technically possible, Noctua will also provide upgrade kits for future sockets.
– NT-H1 thermal compound: Noctua’s much-acclaimed NT-H1 is a well proven pro-grade TIM solution that provides minimum thermal resistance, excellent ease-of-use and outstanding reliability, which makes it suitable for use in professional server and workstation environments.
– 6-year manufacturer’s warranty: Noctua products are renowned for their impeccable quality and outstanding longevity. Like all Noctua fans, the supplied NF-A15’s feature an MTTF rating of more than 150.000 hours and the entire NH-D15 package comes with a full 6-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The Noctua NH-D15 is based on the highly acclaimed NH-D14, using a dual tower design and a solid build, the materials used are aluminum for the fins and copper for the base of the cooler and the six heatpipes. The cooler has a cooling capacity of 220W due to its design and the used materials, in addition the cooler is accompanied by two 140mm NF-A15 fans, these are part of the NF line of fans, with a maximum speed of 1500RPM.
One of the major changes that the NH-D15 brings when compared to the NH-D14 are the the shaped fins at the bottom of the heatsink, these are shaped in order to improve RAM compatibility. The cooler itself uses 45 aluminum made fins.
The NH-D15 model uses six heatpipes each with a diameter of 6mm; these are arranged in a U shape to facilitate heat transfer and dissipation. At the base, a nickel plated-copper plate covers them.
The base of the cooler is made out of nickel plated copper, it is brushed to a reflective finish. By default, the Intel mounting system is installed on the base of the cooler.
The two fans of the cooler are part of the NF line, both are NF-A15 model with the dimmensions140x150x25 mm. They use the proprietary Noctua SSO-Bearing mechanism and feature a speed between 300 RPM and 1500 RPM. The fans feature PWM and rubberized corners for vibration dampening.
The following system was used to test the cooler:
– Processor: Intel i5 4690K @ 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.5 GHz
– Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 9 ACK
– RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz
– GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
– PSU: Antec Edge 550W Gold
– Display: AOC i2769VM
– Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
– Thermal compound: Arctic Cooling MX-4
Software used for testing the cooler:
– AIDA64 Extreme Version: 5.92.4300 (06/19/2017)
– Intel Burn Test v2.54
– Prime95 29.1
The cooler was tested with the CPU at the default turbo frequency of 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.5 GHz with a core voltage of 1.187 V.
Also, the included fans have been used at their maximum speed.
The room temperature was approximately 26°C (78°F), with 2°C margin of error.
The idle test consists of the CPU sitting idle at the desktop for 30 minutes, the temperature was measured at the end of the test.
The settings of the software used are the following:
Intel Burn Test v2.54 – Stress level: Maximum
Prime95 29.1- small FFT
AIDA64 Extreme Version – Temperature monitoring.
Each test was conducted for 40 minutes.
The noise level was measured at three different distances from the fans (10cm, 20cm, 30cm.) the noise was measured with a margin of error of ± 5 db.
The space between the DIMM slots and the front fan is approximately 62mm.
Like the previous model, the Noctua NH-D15, is placed among the top air cooling systems on the market, offering a very good performance being silent at the same time.
The SecuFirm 2 mounting system is efficient, the cooler being easy to install, the average installation time is about 5 minutes.
The accessory package is rich including all the necessary components and a metal screwdriver, in addition, each set of accessories is individually packed, the same can be said with regards to the cooler and fans.
Due to the shape of the bottom of the cooler, the NH-D15 offers about 62mm of space for DIMM modules, but the size of the cooler once both fans are mounted prevents the installation of RAM with tall heatsinks.