Noctua is a company specialized in designing and producing of high end coolers and fans for PC type systems. The company was founded in 2005 by Rascom Computerdistribution and Taiwanese company Kolink International. Today Noctua is present in more than 30 countries, being one of the most known manufacturers of cooling solutions.
Official product link:
Packaging and accessories
The fans are packaged in a two-tone cardboard box, the same color scheme that is featured on the Noctua industrial fans.
On the front side, in the middle there is printed the name of the fan series and the model of the fan, while on the upper right corner there is the Noctua emblem. The front side of the box opens to the side; the fan is packaged in a cardboard frame.
The back side of the packaging presents the specifications of the fan, on the lower side a QR code is printed next to the manufacturer’s website.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 4 Fan Screws
Model: NF-F12 industrialPPC
Size: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Bearing: SSO2 (self-stabilising oil-pressure)
Motor type: Three-phase
Number of blades: 7
Blade Geometry: Heptaperf™
Rated Voltage: 12 V
Max Input Power: 1,2 W
Max. Input Current: 0,1 A
Min. Rotational Speed: 450 RPM
Rotational Speed: 2000 RPM
Static Pressure (12V): 3,94 mm H₂O
Air Flow: 121,8 m³/h
Noise level @ 12V: 29,7 dB(A)
Lifetime MTBF: > 150.000 h
Connector: 4-Pin PWM
Warranty: 6 years
– 2000rpm industrialPPC version: Thanks to its elevated 2000rpm top speed, the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 provides a significant performance boost over the 1500rpm retail version. Combined with the industrialPPC series’ robust polyamide construction and advanced protection features, this makes the fan ideal for challenging industrial applications.
– Fibre-glass reinforced polyamide construction: Both the impeller and the frame of Noctua’s industrialPPC fans are made entirely from fibre-glass reinforced polyamide. This material can withstand temperatures up to 140°C and makes the fans even more robust and break-proof than Noctua’s standard fibre-glass reinforced PBT fans.
– Certified IP52 water- and dust protection: Thanks to a special varnish coating that covers the motor and PCB, the NF-F12 industrialPPC complies with the ingress protection rating IP52. This means that it is not only highly dust resistant but also withstands dripping water equivalent to 3mm rainfall per minute.
– Heptaperf™ Impeller: Custom designed for the new Focused Flow™ frame and to work in tandem with the eleven stator guide vanes, the NF-F12’s seven blade Heptaperf™ impeller has been carefully optimised to achieve a perfect balance between power and quietness.
– SSO2 Bearing: The NF-F12 industrialPPC features the further optimised second generation of Noctua’s renowned, time-tested SSO bearing. With SSO2, the rear magnet is placed closer to the axis to provide even better stabilisation, precision and durability.
– Custom-designed PWM IC with SCD: Supporting fully automatic PWM speed control, the NF-F12 industrialPPC uses Noctua’s custom-designed NE-FD2 PWM IC for three-phase motors. The NE-FD2 integrates Noctua’s proprietary Smooth Commutation Drive (SCD) technology, which suppresses PWM switching noises and thus makes the fan quieter at lower speeds.
– 6-year manufacturer’s warranty: Noctua fans are renowned for their impeccable quality and outstanding longevity. Like all Noctua fans, the NF-F12 industrialPPC features an MTTF rating of more than 150.000 hours and comes with a full 6-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The general look of the NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000 PWM is identical to that of the well-known NF-F12. The main difference between the two models is the color scheme, in the case of the IndustrialPPC series, being composed of black and brown.
The fan uses 7 blades made out of plastic, with the Heptaperf™ design, and they are optimized for a perfect balance between power and silence, also these works in tandem with the directional design of the frame of the fan.
On the front, around the blades of the fan, three indentations are sculpted into each corner of the frame for reducing the noise generated by the intake of the air, also this design helps maintain and direct the airflow.
The blades use the Heptaperf™, Noctua proprietary design, they are meant to work together with the shape of the frame, thus increasing the static pressure and airflow.
The back side of the frame of the fan features 11 plastic curved beams, with the purpose of directing the airflow. In the center of the frame behind the rotor, a small label is glued, it includes the Noctua emblem, the model of the fan and the name of the rotor used.
The shape of the 11 beams of the frame helps directing the exhausted air, also on the upper part each beam has three indentations to better control the flow and minimalize air turbulence.
The corners of the frame are rubberized for vibration dampening during use. These corners are detachable and are made out of silicone.
For power the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM uses a 4-Pin Molex connector. The cable of the fan is covered entirely by black sleeving. The portion of the cable from the motor to the end of the frame is however exposed.
The following system was used to test the fans:
– Processor: Intel i5 4690K @ 3.9GHz
– Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 9 ACK
– RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
– GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Armor 2X 4G
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: WD Blue 1TB
– CPU Cooler: SilverStone Tundra TD02
– Thermal compound: Arctic MX-4
– Display: AOC i2769VM
– Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
The 120mm fans has been tested using a 240mm CPU liquid cooler, the SilverStone TD02 at max. RPM.
The 140mm fans has been tested using a 280mm CPU liquid cooler, the NZXT Kraken X61 at max. RPM.
CPU Temp. – 120mm fans
The noise level was measured at three different distances from the fans (10cm, 20cm, 30cm.) the noise was measured with a margin of error of ± 5 db.
The Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM is designed to deliver the best possible performance as shown by the test result. Although the fan is not silent, reaching up to 54 dB, it offers the best temperature. The accessory package is scarce, it contains only 4 metal screws, although the fan is part of a high price segment.
The biggest drawback of the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM is the noise produced at maximum speed, like many fans that exceed 2000RPM, it reaches 54 dB.
In conclusion, the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM is designed for reliability and continuous use, the performance is great, however the silence is sacrificed in the process. Thanks to the IP52 certification, the fan is protected against dust and water, the industrialPPC series is designed towards continuous operation and reliability.