ARCTIC initiated the trend towards quiet cooling systems for desktop PCs in 2001 and has given distinction to it ever since. Today ARCTIC is one of the leading manufacturers in computer cooling and has acquired profound knowhow in consumer electronics.
Up until 2009, ARCTIC COOLING focused solely on cooling solutions. In 2010, we became ARCTIC with the additional aim to provide a comprehensive set of innovative consumer electronics and peripherals. ARCTIC’s long term goal is nothing less than being present in everybody’s home.
Official product link:
2. Packaging and accessories
The cooler comes packaged in a white box with blue accents. On the front side of the box the product is presented using an overview image of it, also below there are printed both the name of the cooler, a QR code and the name of the manufacturer “Arctic AC”.
The sides of the box provide an in-depth overview of the cooler’s specifications and a diagram of it.
The back side showcases the cooler and its features, also presenting various VRM heatsink models.
The product comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Manual
– 4x Spring
– 4x Screws A
– 4x Screws B
– 4x Screws Black (5mm)
– 4x Screws Black (8mm)
– 4x Washer
– 4x Spacers Black (1.25mm)
– 1x MX-4
– 1x 80mm VRM fan
– 1x Heatsink
Max. Cooling Capacity: 300W
Size: 80 mm
Speed: 600 – 2000 RPM with PWM control
Heat Exchanger Type: Aluminium
Noise Level: 0.3 Sone
F14 PWM Fan Current / Voltage: 0.26 A / 12 V
GTX 980 (Ti)
GTX 1080, 1070, 980 Ti, Titan X
GTX 780, 780Ti, Titan, Titan Black
GTX 970, 960, 760, 680, 670, 660 (Ti), 650 Ti boost, 580, 570, 560 (Ti, SE),
550 Ti, 480, 470, 465, 460 (SE), GTS 450
VRM Heatsink Set:
R9 280(X), HD 7970 (GHz), 7950 (Boost)
R9 390(X), 380(X), 370X, 285, 270(X), R7 370, 265, HD 7870(XT, GHz), 7850, 6970, 6950, 6870, 6850, 6790, 5870, 5850, 5830, 4890, 4870, 4850, 3870, 3850, 3690.
– Dedicated VRM Cooling: Lower VRM temperature through specific VRM heat sink and 80 mm fan for Long Service Life.
– Installation without Thermal Glue: Thanks to dedicated VRM heatsinks, users of graphics cards with stock layout no longer need to glue anything onto their board and thus can return it to its original condition any time.
– Multi-Compatibility: The Accelero Hybrid III-140 features a versatile, problem free mounting system that allows this cooler to be the most compatible yet.
– Large Ram Cooler: The large heatsink cools the PCB in the RAM area and thus also the RAMs itself which are soldered onto the PCB.
– Even Better Cooling Performance with Liquid Cooling Solution: This high efficiency liquid cooler installed on the GPU with award winning ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste will lower the temperature of even the most powerful GPU. The heat exchanger maximizes the water contact surface to quickly dissipate heat. The Accelero Hybrid III-140 comes pre-filled, and never needs a refilling again.
– New Fan Controller: An improved fan controller and the use of additional filters guarantee a smooth operation with both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards.Through software, the temperature-fan speed curve can be adjusted. No matter whether you are a hardcore-gamer or a silent enthusiast, you get the temperature and noise level exactly where you want it to be.
4. Visual inspection
The cooling system is composed out of two main elements, the AIO cooler which is dedicated to the graphic chip and the VRM heatsink. This heatsink is different depending on the model of the graphics card used.
The pump of the cooling system is mounted on the block which fits on the core of the graphics card, on the top side there are placed both the name and logo of Arctic and the name of the cooler.
The base of the cooler is made out of brushed copper, the base is mounted on the assembly using 8 mettalic screws.
The pump is powered with the help of a 4 Pin Molex connector.
The radiator has a thickness of 27mm, a width of 149mm and a length of 170mm. The length of the tubes is approximately 420mm which makes the mounting process easier.
The AIO system is accompanied by a proprietary 140mm fan which is offered only with this cooler. It uses 7 blades and has a flexible frame, also the corners of the fan are covered with rubber bands for vibration dampening.
The power is done with the help of a 4 Pin Molex connector, also the cable is covered entirely by black sleeving.
The active cooling of the VRM is achieved with the help of a 80mm slim format fan, it features PWM and has a maximum speed of 2000RPM. The fan uses a 4 Pin Mini connector used on graphics cards, this also uses a standard 4 pin connector.
This fan is used in combination with the included heatsinks to cool the VRM.
The following system was used to test the cooler:
– Processor: Intel i5 4690K @ 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.5 GHz
– Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 9 ACK
– RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical @ 2133MHz
– GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Armor 2X
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
– PSU: Antec Edge 550W Gold
– Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
– Thermal compound: Arctic Cooling MX-4
The cooler was tested using the NVIDIA MSI GeForce GTX 970 Armor 2X. The core frequency during the tests was approximately 1240MHz and the memory frequency was approximately 3505Mhz. The tests were conducted 40 minutes (per test) using the software MSI Kombustor (3.5.0) and MSI Afterburner v4.1.1.
Arctic Accelero Hybrid III – 140 cooling performance
Testing the cooling efficiency of the cooler has been done with the fans at their maximum speed, both in idle and full load, also the noise level of the cooler was measured at three different distances (10cm, 20cm si 30cm).
Arctic Accelero Hybrid III – 140 sound performance
The installation of the cooler on the GPU was easy, due to the easy to read manual and the clear schematics. The cooling system for the VRM is different for each GPU model, the GTX 970 is part of the “Generic” category of heatsinks offered by Arctic.
6. Final thoughts
The new Arctic AC cooling system is offered in several versions, some being exclusive to some graphics card models. The look of the cooler is similar with the previous version, the main goal of this cooler being functionality and performance.
The installation process is done with relatively ease, the user manual offers all the necessary information for mounting and using the cooler.
The performance of the cooling system is very good, the temperature of the graphics card being reduced by approximately 10°C, also all the heat generated by the graphics card is being pushed outside the case, thus improving the temperature of the other components in the system.
The two fans are silent, not exceeding 35 db at max speed.
In conclusion, the Arctic Accelero Hybrid III cooler stands out through its performance and innovation when compared with the previous model, also Arctic offers this cooler with different VRM heatsinks depending on the graphics card model, thus the cooler is much more efficient.