Registered as a trademark of Listan GmbH & Co. KG in 2002, BeQuiet! is a brand who manufactures Power Supply units, CPU coolers, PC cases, and case fans. The main target groups for products in the BeQuiet! range are PC enthusiasts and gamers as well as smaller and larger PC integrators. The company’s headquarters is in Glinde, close to Hamburg. At the present time the company also has branches in Poland, Taiwan and China. The major market of the Be Quiet! brand is Europe.
Official product link:
Packaging and accessories
The case is packaged in a black cardboard box with the following dimensions: (L x W x H) 655 x 325 x 680(mm).
On the front side, there is a general image of the case, while on the middle there is the name of the chassis. On the lower side, a few of the product’s features are listed in three different languages while on the upper right corner the name and logo of the manufacturer are printed.
The sides of the packaging present the specifications of the case and the manufacturer, on the right side a few of the case variants are presented.
On the backside we have the case presented using a few photos of some of its features. On the upper side, there are not only the name and logo of the manufacturer, but also the name of the chassis.
The case comes with the following accessories:
– 1x Manual
– 1x LCS bracket
– 1x Upper fan bracket
– 6x Velcro Straps
– 2x Rubber Grommet
– 1x Screw set (HDD)
– 1x Screw set (SSD)
– 1x Screw set (Motherboard)
– 8x Thumb Screws
– 2x LED strips
Name: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Silver
Model: Dark Base Pro 900
Colors available: Black, Orange, Silver
Materials: Steel & Plastic
Motherboard Support: ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX, E-ATX, XL-ATX
Weight: 14.4 kg
Dimensions L x W x H: 577 x 243 x 585 mm
Expansion & Drive Bays:
– 8x expansion slots
– 2x – 2.5″ drive bays
– 7x – 3.5″ HDD positions (can also accommodate 2.5″ units);
– 15x 2.5″ Bays (in total)
– 2x USB 3.0
– 2x USB 2.0
– 1x Headphone
– 1x Microphone
– 1x Qi Charger
– Front: 2x be quiet! SilentWings® 3 |140mm PWM
– Rear: 1x be quiet! SilentWings® 3 |140mm PWM
– Top: 3x – 140 mm fan (not included), 4x 120mm or 1x 180 mm fan
– Bottom: 2x – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
– Dust filters: Bottom and front intakes
Water cooling compatibility:
– Front – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators of all thicknesses
– Top – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators.
– Bottom – 280, 140, 120 mm radiator
– Rear – 120 or 140 mm radiator
– CPU coolers up to 188mm in height
– ATX PSUs up to 284 mm without a bottom 120/140mm fan installed; When using a fan on the floor, a 150mm PSU can be mounted
– Graphics cards up to 472 mm in length with HDD cages installed, without compromising HDD capacity; Graphics cards up to 323mm in length can be mounted with the HDD cages installed.
– Velcro straps included for easy cable management
– RELOCATABLE MOTHERBOARD TRAY: The decoupled motherboard tray adapts to suit individual requirements, being completely relocatable and usable as a test bench. You can adjust it to three different heights or install it alongside the left panel in an inverted layout with redefined airflow. It is fully compatible with E-ATX and XL-ATX motherboards.
– SILENT WINGS 3: The three pre-installed SilentWings® 3 140mm PWM fans offer virtually inaudible operation. They are equipped with a smooth-running 6-pole motor, durable fluid-dynamic bearing and airflow-optimized fan blade design. The frame has funnel-shaped air inlets that generate high air pressure.
– MODULAR HDD SLOTS: The installation options are flexible thanks to repositionable single HDD slots. Supports up to 7 HDDs, 15 SSDs and 2 optical drives. The assembly and handling concept gives you modularity choices, empowering you to create systems that meet the highest of standards.
– TEMPERED GLAS AND LEDs: The case is equipped with an elegant, fully windowed side panel that is made of tinted and tempered glass. The eye-catching internal LED illumination comes in five switchable colors. You can locate the LED strips freely inside the PC case.
– SMART I/O PORT AND CONVENIENT CHARGER: The front I/O port offers perfect compatibility for your high-end PC. Advanced PWM hub and manual fan controller supports up to four PWM and four 3-pin fans. 2x USB, 2x USB 2.0, HD audio jacks. Integrated wireless charger for Qi enabled devices such as smart phones.
The exterior design of the case is similar with that of the previous models such as the Silent Base 800 and 600. The Dark Base Pro 900 is available in four different color variants: all black, black & orange, black & silver and the limited-edition White. The main differences between the Pro and standard versions are: the tempered glass side panel, wireless smartphone charging dock, included RGB LED strips and the integrated fan controller. All these being available in the case of the Pro version.
The Dark Base Pro 900 model has the following dimensions: 577(L) x 243(W) x 585(H) mm and a weight of 14.4 kg.
The main side panel is made out of tempered glass, it is being held in place with the help of 4 thumb screws, in addition, the panel itself is resting on rubber grommets.
The back-side panel is a solid piece, in the middle there is a smaller panel that can be raised to allow for air to enter the inside of the chassis.
The front side of the case is made out of plastic, with a brushed metal texture. The front door is mounted to the chassis using two hinges, it can also be mounted on the opposite side of the case. On the back of the door sound dampening foam is applied.
At the front two 5.25″ bays are available, these are protected by two plastic plates.
Above the two 5.25″ bays there is the integrated fan controller of the case, it controls the fans of the case and the connected LED strips.
In the front side of the case two 140mm fans are preinstalled, these are model SilentWings 3 PWM. The dust filter that cover the fans is held in place by plastic clips and it is removable by pulling from the top clip.
The bottom dust filter of the case is removable from the front, this is pulled from the case once the front door is opened.
The back side of the case features 8 expansion slots and one Silent Wings 3 PWM fan included. Below the Power Supply space is located being composed out of 3 metallic plates that are removable.
The inferior side of the case features four rubber and plastic feet alongside a dust filter that is removable from the front of the case. The airflow is achieved through the perforations at the sides of the case.
The top side of the case is solid; all the airflow is done through the side mesh of it and the back vents. A smartphone wireless charging dock is located at the front of the case.
In the front we find the I/O panel and the activity LED of the case. The I/O panel is composed of the following:
– 2x Audio Jacks
– 1x Reset Button
– 1x Power Button
– 2x USB 3.0 Ports
– 2x USB 2.0 Ports
– 1x Activity LED
The top panel is removable while the I/O panel is mounted separately. This means that once the system is fully assembled, the removal of the top panel will be done with ease.
The inside of the case is completely modular, each component being held in place by screws. Preinstalled inside there are 7 storage bays that support both 2.5” drives and 3.5” storage units. The cables of the I/O panel are completely black and the rubber components are the same color as the exterior colored accents of the case, in this case silver.
On the back side there is the HUB for powering the fans, from the factory all the included fans are already connected to the HUB, in addition four more fans can be connected to the HUB.
Next to the fan Hub there is a 2.5” drive tray, it is held in place by a single Thumb screw.
The storage unit cages are mounted to the frame of the case with the help of 3 Thumb screws at the back. In addition, each storage cage has some support from the cage below it.
At the front of the case there is enough space to install radiators: 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120mm in size. Here two 140mm fans are preinstalled, these are the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3.
The top of the case can accommodate up to four 120mm fans and up to three 140mm fans. In terms of watercooling compatibility, the case at the top can support raditators: 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120mm in sizes.
On the floor of the case 280, 140, and 120mm radiators can be installed, however this depends on the size of the power supply.
The following system was used to test the chassis:
– CPU: Intel i5 6600K
– Motherboard: Asrock Z270 TAICHI
– RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper DDR4
– GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition
– SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
– HDD: WD Blue 1TB
– PSU: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W
– CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S24
The interior of the case is modular in such a way that the motherboard tray can be inverted. In addition, both side panels and front door can be inverted.
The power supply is installed inside the case while the AC connection is done with a preinstalled AC adapter. The metallic bracket where the power supply sits is detachable and can be moved front and back.
Installing the storage devices into the metallic brackets is done with ease due to the rubber grommets and overall metallic shape and structure.
The noise level for the two 140mm fans included with the chassis using the included fan controller was measured at three different distances from the fans (10cm, 20cm, 30cm.) the noise was measured with a margin of error of ± 5 db.
The Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 is among the few cases that follow a new design from a both functional and look point of view. The modular build offers countless customizing options, the interior of the chassis can be inverted the same can be said for the exterior side panels while the front door uses hinges on both sides. The exterior design maintains the overall Be Quiet! theme, the outer surface features a vertical brushed texture and mesh strips are present on the outside edges of the side panels to facilitate the airflow and cooling of the system. The mounting system for the storage units is completely tool-less, each storage bay is made out of metal and features rubber grommets to dampen vibrations, in addition each bay is independent from the others. This means that the user is not forged to use a 5-drive storage bay when only two drives are used.The watercooling support is extensive, the case accepts radiators starting in size from 120mm up to 420mm with various thicknesses and in the package, there is included a metallic pump bracket. Alongside the integrated fan controller, Be Quiet! also included three 140mm Silent Wings 3 PWM fans and two LED strips.
In conclusion, the Be Quiet! The Dark Base Pro 900 is a worthy example, especially when compared to the current trends. Although the case has a high price, it offers a completely modular interior, individual mounting system for storage units and extensive water cooling support. The Pro version also features a tempered glass side panel, two LED strips and a wireless dock for charging a smartphone.